A few months ago, the son of a family friend turned 18 and for his present, we gave him a gift certificate to the local cool-kid barbershop. (Lot of those in Long Beach.) He takes pride in his appearance, and the idea was that he could treat himself to a hot shave before a big date or something. Fast forward to last week, and I got a text from the young man, asking if I’d like to accompany him to the shop for a hot shave; senior prom was the next night and he wanted to come correct. I loved it, mainly because when I was 18, I’m not sure I was cool enough to think that way. And that’s the beauty of gift-giving, in my opinion. You can take what you know and bestow it on someone else. Might be a dud, but more times than not, you will open a window into a new world for someone else.
To that end, I’ve restocked the J&T Men’s Lifestyle Shop on Huckberry with gift ideas for graduation season, and Father’s Day next month. Here are a few of the highlights, at varying price points:
- Explore and Decor—kill two birds with one stone with these simple prints from Anderson Design Group. Grads will need a little help getting their first apartment in shape, and these tributes to national parks will motivate them to not spend their down time in front of an Xbox. And dad, well, if yours is anything like mine, he might need a little kickstart to finally get his study in order. (I’m trying, mom) || Anderson Design Group: National Park Prints
- More Picks Under $50 … A cool growler to keep hot things hot or cold things cold … Pint glasses he doesn’t even know he needs … A starter set for the budding whiskey drinker
- A tie for Father’s Day is a cliché, sure, but with good reason—it’s a smart gift. And to me, the best ties have the best texture, and aren’t just straight silk—Billy Reid does this extremely well. That’s why this one from Trumaker stands out. The combo of silk and wool works both in a suit setting, or a J&T one too, depending on the work environment for your dad or grad. And the price is a little more tolerable than the offerings at Billy Reid || Trumaker: Multi-Flecked Stripe Tie
- More Picks Under $100 … Every shirt here will improve a man’s closet … A quality pillow to make the most of bed time … A smart jump rope for the traveling businessman
- There might not be a piece of equipment more important in today’s work environment than headphones. Whether you’re working in an office with an open floor plan, at home, in a coffee shop or wherever, the ability to slip on headphones and tune out your neighbors is vital. I love the vintage look on these, especially in contrast with whatever monstrosities pro athletes are endorsing these days || Grado: SR325 Headphones
- More Picks Over $100 … Who doesn’t need one of these watches? … Ditto any of these bags, which will last a lifetime … A pair of leather slip-ons will never go out of style