1. Norden: 7″ Planter ($58). Green isn’t just for the grass in the backyard. Spread around a few of these sturdy ceramic planters—on end tables, on the bar, on deck railings, etc.—and you’re all set.
2. California Republic Bear State Flag: Made in USA ($99). Old Glory or state pride, make sure to fly it high when the sun comes out.
3. Hangar 24: Orange Wheat ($ varies). If your guest is a Coors Light lifer, it might be hard to get him to switch. But give it a go with a local fruit wheat beer—just as easy to drink and money on a hot day. I’ve long maintained that Hangar 24’s signature brew is what California tastes like.
4. Hudson Sutler: ReKoozie ($12). Like it or not, your guests are going to judge you on your selection of koozies. Might as well get some good ones.
5. Baseballism: United Seams T-Shirt ($29). Learned about this brand on a spring training trip to Scottsdale and been a fan ever since. When entertaining in your backyard, by the way, leave the collars in the closet and go casual. Don’t be the guy trying to outdress his guests.
6. Mizzen+Main: Nantucket Red Shorts ($80). I did not embrace the colored pants trend that swept through menswear in recent years, but I’m all for a bright short. Especially when paired with a dark tee and white kicks like the following…
8. Stahl: Fire Pit (From $499). Been fire pit shopping for a few months now, and can’t find one I really like. (This Stahl one is a little too mod for my taste.) If I lived in the South, however, you can be sure I’d buck up for one of these badass heirloom pieces from my childhood pal Nick Garmon. He uses recycled materials—like tank heads and automotive parts—to custom make these pits. Contact him on Facebook or Instagram for pricing.
9. Oakley: Frogskins Fourth of July Edition ($120). These are awesome, but if the price point is too high, consider a custom made pair of Knockarounds for 1/5 the cost. White shades are summer essentials.
10. Audio Pro: T3 Portable Bluetooth Speaker ($249). A complete Sonos system is ideal, but something simple and portable like this one will crank out the sound wherever you’re hanging out.
11. Darts & Decor: Red White & Blue Dartboard (From $49). There’s only so long one can stand around and talk. Competition is calling, so whether it’s darts or washers or whatever, make sure you’ve got a game on hand.
12. PK Grills: Grill & Smoker w/ Rib Rack ($369). Whether it’s a Weber or a Traeger or a Big Green Egg or one of these, get out the tri-tip and some veggies and get going.